The woman suffered extensive injuries, including a skull fracture, a “small brain hemorrhage”, a broken arm and a large laceration to her left hand.
|The man was completely naked, wearing nothing but nail polish and a cowboy hat when he attacked the victim with a machete. - Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto|
A South Florida man is facing three felony charges after police accused him of attacking a woman with a machete because he didn’t have a crack pipe.
Miami-Dade police arrested Roberto Hercules, 45, in Hialeah on Friday, October 14.
According to an arrest report, Hercules was “completely naked,” wearing nothing but nail polish and a cowboy hat when he attacked the victim at Northwest 74th Street and South River Drive in Medley last Tuesday.
Police claimed the woman was riding a bicycle in the area when Hercules asked her for a pipe. Officers wrote that the attack began after she told him she didn’t have a pipe.
The woman jumped off her bike as Hercules chased after her and “continued to hit her with the machete” in the head and left arm. Hercules eventually got away, police said.
The woman suffered extensive injuries, including a skull fracture , a “small brain hemorrhage”, a broken arm and a large laceration to her left hand.
She was hospitalized in “stable condition” in an intensive care unit at the time of the report, police wrote.
On Friday, police said they found Hercules sleeping in a tent on West 10th Court in Hialeah. According to the report, Hercules was, once again, completely naked and with painted nails. Police also found two cowboy hats inside the store.
After police announced their presence, Hercules yelled that he “wanted to be shot,” but eventually complied, investigators wrote.
The victim, for her part, was able to identify Hercules in a row of photos that the authorities passed him, from his hospital bed.
So far, the man faces charges of attempted murder, attempted armed robbery and aggravated assault with a weapon. The investigation is still ongoing and his final sentence is expected in the coming days.
Serial killer charged with killing four women and sexually assaulting two in Detroit
In other events, a man from Detroit, also in the US, was sentenced to 45 years in prison after pleading guilty to murdering four women whose bodies were found in empty houses and sexually assaulting two other women, according to the local police.
Last Thursday, October 6, a Wayne County Circuit Court judge sentenced Deangelo Martin , 37, to 45 to 70 years behind bars. The man had pleaded guilty to the murders and assaults in September, days before his scheduled trial date.
Martin pleaded guilty to the murders of Annetta Nelson, 57; Nancy Harrison, 52; Trevesene Ellis, 55, and Tamara Jones, 55. Their bodies were found in empty houses on Detroit’s east side between February and June 2019.
Medical examiners found that Nelson and Harrison died of blunt force trauma, but the bodies of Ellis and Jones were too decomposed to determine how they died.
At the time, authorities labeled the slayings the work of a serial killer and said all of the women appeared to be sex workers.
“All the women that Deangelo Martin violently killed had families that loved them very much. Hopefully, they will find some peace knowing that he will be in the Michigan Department of Corrections and off the streets," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.
To top it off, Martin also pleaded guilty to stabbing and sexually assaulting a 26-year-old woman in May 2019 and kidnapping and sexually assaulting another 51-year-old woman in June 2019.