Self- esteem , that is, the assessment we make of ourselves , is one of the most important factors that influence our personal well-being. Having high self-esteem is key to relating to others, and makes us resistant to adversity.
Self Respect Status in Hindi And English
What determines whether we have a high or low self-esteem basically depends on four factors: our history of successes and the position we achieve through the recognition that these give us, the areas associated with these successes (if they are significant to us), respect and the interest we receive from others and the external or internal attribution we make of the negative events we encounter every day.
The different types of self-esteem
Self-esteem is a subject that arouses great interest from the point of view of psychology. Well, the professionals of this discipline know perfectly the importance that this variable has in the appearance of emotional and psychological problems .
Psychologists have been interested in this topic, and from Psychology and Mind we have made several articles that address it. If you want to deepen your knowledge of self-esteem, you can read our articles:
Throughout history, many well-known characters have referred to this psychological variable in their works, self-esteem. In today’s article, I’m going to go over the top 50 quotes that refer to the ability to know yourself , improve self-worth, and improve self-esteem.
Let us begin!
50 Best Self respect status
1. When you recover or discover something that feeds your soul and brings you joy, take care of loving yourself enough and make a space for yourself in your life (Jean Shinoda Bolen)
Sometimes the things that make us really happy go through our lives without us even realizing it . Loving ourselves includes valuing these things or people around us and that, for different reasons, we may not take them into account. In this way we will regret in the future.
2. You yourself, as much as anyone else in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection (Buddha)
The Buddha tells us in this sentence that no one will love us as much as ourselves, and that, although sometimes it is difficult for us to see him, we all deserve our own love and affection.
3. Always remember that you not only have the right to be an individual, but you have the obligation to be one (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Although we are sometimes blinded by the negative, Roosevelt reminds us that we must be aware that we are unique and valuable people .
4. If you only realized, how important you are to the lives of those you know, how important you could be to people you have not yet dreamed of meeting. There’s something about you that you leave in every person you meet (Fred Rogers)
You need to know that you leave your mark on the people you know. We all have qualities that are valued by other people .
5. Low self-esteem is like driving through life with the parking brake on (Maxwell Maltz)
This phrase by Maxwell Maltz says that low self-esteem is our worst enemy , it is like carrying a backpack full of stones.
6. What is in front of us and behind us are only small things compared to what is inside us (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
The happiness is not outside but within us. We tend to make a mistake thinking that others will make us happy or that by buying things we will be satisfied. That is not true, because what really makes us happy is being good with ourselves and settling for what is necessary .
7. Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it (M. Scott Peck)
The first step to do something in this life is to value yourself , because when we have low self-esteem, we are immobilized.
8. A person cannot be comfortable without his own approval (Mark Twain)
It is impossible for a person to be happy if he is not valued positively and if he does not love himself enough. You need to love yourself to be happy.
9. Never be harassed in silence. Never allow yourself to become a victim. Don’t accept anyone’s definition of your life; define yourself (Harvey Fierstein)
Treating yourself badly is the worst thing we can do. Nor is it a good thing that we let others guide us and decide what we have to do in this life. Personal development begins by defining yourself and fighting for what you want.
10. Love yourself first and everything else falls in order. You have to love yourself to do anything in this world (Lucille Ball)
Loving yourself is the first step to do anything in this life . If we don’t love ourselves nobody will respect us and we will be in continuous suffering.
11. Self-care is not a selfish act, it is simply the proper handling of the only gift I have, the gift for which I am in the world to offer to others (Parker Palmer)
Treating yourself well does not mean that we are selfish people , in fact, it is necessary for personal well-being. So, to avoid suffering more than on account, you have to take time for yourself and treat yourself with affection.
12. When you take the view that any criticism you make is self-criticism, that any judgment you make is self-judgment, you wisely develop in yourself an unconditional love that will be the light of the world (Harry Palmer)
This phrase comes to say that we should not waste time criticizing others and judging them . You have to spend that time on yourself, to improve every day.
13. Why should we worry about what others think of us, we have more confidence in their opinions than in ours? (Brigham Young)
Constantly thinking about what others think of us is not good from the point of view of emotional balance. As already said, happiness is in oneself .
14. To establish true self-esteem we must focus on our successes and forget about the failures and negative events in our lives (Denis Waitley)
Our successes or, better said, our perception of our successes will be key in the development of our self-esteem . Taking iron from our failures and seeing them as opportunities to learn is the best way for a healthy development of self-esteem.
15. Healthy self-esteem means that we have no obligation to justify to ourselves or others when we go on vacation, when we stay up late, when we buy new shoes, when we occasionally give ourselves a prize. We feel comfortable doing things that add quality of life to our day to day (Andrew Matthews)
You have to be tolerant of yourself, accept ourselves as we are and treat each other with affection to have a healthy self-esteem . This can be easy, but we tend to be hard on ourselves, something that does not benefit us.
16. Our self-respect marks our choices. Every time we act in harmony with our true selves and our hearts, we earn respect. It’s that simple. Every choice matters (Dan Coppersmith)
We choose to treat each other with love and respect . If we don’t, we run the risk of suffering excessively. In the end, the choice is ours.
17. People flatter themselves, thinking that their failings are always present in other people’s minds, as if they believed that the world is always contemplating their individual charms and virtues (Elizabeth Gaskell)
We tend to have the perception that others are aware of our mistakes and our failures. This is not so, as others may not see things that happen to us so pessimistically .
18. Do not depend on someone else to be happy and to value yourself. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself, no one will be able to make that happen (Stacey Charter)
No one is going to love you more than yourself . There are many individuals who depend on other people to be happy, and are actually empty. You have to empower yourself in front of life, love and respect yourself every day.
19. Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes it come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs to be alive. Then go and do it. Because the world needs people who want to be alive (Howard Washington Thurman)
In order to give to others, it is essential to have met the needs of oneself . If you have any gaps in your life or something that you are not comfortable with, you will hardly be able to help others.
20. Too many people overvalue what they are not and underestimate what they are (Malcolm S. Forbes)
It is very common for people to value little what we are and aspire to be what we are not. . We must begin to value what we have, which surely is a lot.
21. Have faith in what exists in there (André Gide)
This phrase reminds us that we must believe in ourselves because we are all valuable people . We all have virtues and abilities that characterize us and that we can offer to the world.
22. Regardless of the path you decide to take, there is always someone who will tell you that you are wrong. There are always derivative difficulties that tempt you to believe that your critics are right. Charting a course of action and following it to its end requires courage (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
It is difficult not to be influenced by what others tell us . But the true well-being is in finding our own path, the one we want.
23.Never lower your head. Always keep it high. Look the world straight in the eye (Helen Keller)
If you go through life with your head down you will not be able to see the path you want to follow . Although it is not easy at times, you need to have your eyes straight ahead and pull forward.
24. You’ve criticized yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try to flatter yourself and see what happens (Louise L. Hay)
The easy thing is to criticize yourself when things are not going well. It is better to change your strategy and accept and love yourself .
25. Loving yourself is the beginning of a romance for life (Oscar Wilde)
Loving yourself, as Oscar Wilde says, is essential to succeed in life. When you love yourself, you don’t need anyone’s approval .
26. Act as if what you do makes a difference. He does it (William James)
We don’t always value the things we do . But if we do them with the best intention, surely they will be well done.
27. The most incredible people we have met are those who have known defeat, suffering, struggle, loss, and have found their way from the depths. These people have an appreciation, sensitivity, and understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and deep loving concern. Amazing people don’t just happen (Elizabeth Kubler-Ross)
Having suffered and having a bad time in life makes us grow . When the wounds heal you become stronger.
28. You are always with yourself, so you could enjoy your own company (Diane Von Furstenberg)
It is not easy to accept loneliness and spend time alone . But it’s also not a bad thing to take time to get to know yourself. It is a time to grow.
29. Who looks outside, dreams: who looks inside, awakens (Carl Gustav Jung)
You have to live in the present and be in the here and now to be realistic . That is one of the keys to happiness.
30. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent (Eleanor Roosevelt)
You decide if you want to be happy or not , if you want what others think of you to affect you. You know, it’s up to you, exclusively.
31. The better you feel about yourself, the less you need to teach it (Robert Hand)
If you’re okay with yourself, you don’t need the approval of others and you don’t need to prove anything to anyone.
32. I think everyone is weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be ashamed of it (Johnny Depp)
We are all perfectly imperfect, so there is no need to worry about it or take it wrong . You are unique in the world!
33. You are very powerful as long as you know how powerful you are (Yogi Bhajan)
Self-knowledge is power . The problem is always doubting your potential. You have to believe in yourself.
34. It’s not what they call you, it’s what you answer (WC Fields)
Sometimes you may not like some things about others . But people will remember how you behave about it. For example, if someone gets on your nerves and insults you, your insult will surely be remembered.
35. There are days when I drop flattering words on me like when the leaves fall from a tree and I remember that it is enough to take care of myself (Brian Andreas)
We tend to forget to flatter ourselves because it is easier to criticize ourselves . When we do, we realize that it is really simple.
36. Trust yourself. You know more than you think you know (Benjamin Spock)
We must trust ourselves , although we may underestimate ourselves many times.
37. Because if you believe in yourself, you do not try to convince others. Because if you are happy with yourself, you do not need the approval of others. Because if you accept yourself, the whole world accepts you too (Lao-Tzu)
When you are comfortable with yourself, it does not matter what others say . One feels strong and prepared to face the day to day.
38. People who need the highest approval from others get little. And those who don’t need approval from others get more (Wayne Dyer)
If you seek the approval of others you will surely not find it . Instead, when you trust yourself, people look for you.
39. There is nothing noble about being superior to other men. The true nobility is to be superior to your previous self (Hindu proverb)
This Hindu proverb reminds us that the truly noble thing is to surpass yourself continually . If you want you can!
40. I found in my own research that the biggest reason people are not self-compassionate is that they are afraid of becoming self-indulgent. They believe that self-criticism is what keeps them online. Many people think that way because our culture says being hard on yourself is the right way to be (Kristen Neff)
This phrase refers to cultural influence and how this society demands so much of us . You have to re-educate yourself to be happy.
41. Your problem is that you are… so busy holding on to your guilt (Ram Dass)
Guilt is a backpack that accompanies us everywhere and that weighs too much . Better get rid of her.
42. The prize of conformity is that everyone likes you less than yourself (Rita Mae Brown)
Conformity is synonymous with immobility , and therefore does not make you feel good in the long run. Leaving the comfort zone puts you to the test and allows you to grow and develop.
43. She has no self-confidence, she insatiably yearns for admiration. She lives in the reflections of herself in the eyes of others. She does not dare to be herself (Anais Nin)
It is sad not to dare to be yourself . This causes unhappiness, because personal development is intimately related to self-confidence and to knowing and fighting for one’s goals.
44. People are like glasses. They shine when the sun rises, but when darkness comes they reveal true beauty only if there is an inner light (Elisabeth Kübler-Ross)
The true beauty of each one is inside . But it only emerges when one is aware of it.
45. It took me a long time not to judge myself through the eyes of others (Sally Field)
It is common for us to judge ourselves only by how others think of us . But over time one can learn to overcome this and focus only on what one wants in life.
46. Wanting to be someone else is wasting the person you are (Marilyn Monroe)
Phrase of the great American diva. Do not waste time trying to be another person, love yourself as you are, you are worth a lot .
47. Other people’s opinions about yourself should not become your reality (Les Brown)
We are all influenced by what others think of us. But it should never affect us more than necessary .
48. I don’t know the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone (Woody Allen)
The great filmmaker and actor Woody Allen gives the key: if you try to please everyone, you will completely lose your essence as a human being .
49. Fate decides who enters your life, but only you decide who stays (Anonymous)
A phrase by an unknown author that emphasizes the criteria of each person to be able to rationally select the company .
50. The religion of all people should be to believe in themselves (Jiddu Krishnamurti)
This phrase from the Hindu philosopher and writer reveals the importance of believing in our dreams.